The Rowling Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rowling Universe

The world created by JK Rowling for the Harry Potter Books.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» We've all been MIA
Called in Favour EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 10:04 am by Calixta Harper

» Amelia Cassidy (WIP)
Called in Favour EmptySat May 30, 2015 2:38 pm by Kiara

» Character Notes
Called in Favour EmptyFri May 02, 2014 5:13 am by Kiara

» Archives- Sept 18 2013
Called in Favour EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 3:53 pm by Kiara

» Comfortable as Nails
Called in Favour EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 4:57 am by Gabriel Hall

» Isdolani: Conlang for RP
Called in Favour EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 11:14 pm by Gabriel Hall

» Maalik Szadn Darksteel
Called in Favour EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 4:05 pm by Gabriel Hall

» Anger Management
Called in Favour EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 11:39 pm by Gabriel Hall

» Pending Future Characters
Called in Favour EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 12:04 am by Kiara

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum
RolePlayGateway Where there is a wand Hogwarts Next Generation
Statistics
We have 37 registered users
The newest registered user is Richard Menard

Our users have posted a total of 3576 messages in 527 subjects
Top posters
Calixta Harper
Called in Favour Vote_lcapCalled in Favour Voting_barCalled in Favour Vote_rcap 
Kiara
Gabriel Hall
Columba Mars
Alexander Nighthook
Kissofdeath
Julian Kaiser
Ariadne Grey
Bastian Kaiser
Vinzent Zolnerowich
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search Widget

Called in Favour

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Called in Favour   Called in Favour EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 1:10 am

"Just wear the button." Her mother had insisted an hour earlier to a protesting Aileen. An hour later, here she was, manning the seamstry section of Gladrags Wizardwear, Aileens own version of Hell. It was a rare occurance, but every once in a while her mother had to drop a shift and every once in a while, there were no other seamstresses avaliable to cover for her. So by default, every once in a while Aileen was guilt tripped into spending four hours hemming robes and otherwise humiliating herself, usually in front of people she knew. Her mother always seemed to have some favour she could call Aileen in on.

The button her mother had forced onto the collar of her uniform said "I'm pinning for some great robes." The terrible pun for the word pining made the writer in Aileen cringe further, at least this shift was only 4 hours long. Then she could go back to her flat, maybe delv into some political scandals and otherwise entertain herself.

Aileen put her glasses on as she picked up a stitch ripper and began to remove an old hem from a robe she was working on. It could be done with magic but Aileen trusted her hand more than her wand when it came to removing tiny stiches. Muggle world habit she supposed.

As she ripped out the old hem she glanced up at the cardboard tag that had been fixed onto the sleeve of the robe for identification. C. Harper. Well at least she didn't know the witch.
Back to top Go down
Calixta Harper
Sangreal Member
Calixta Harper

Wizarding ID Card
Name: Calixta Harper
Blood Rank: Half-Blood
Career: Curse-breaker (Gringott's)

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Called in Favour   Called in Favour EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 3:08 pm

She was to be returning to Malaysia in a matter of mere days, but Calixta had found herself unwilling to do those menial tasks which were required for her return trip. With everything that was still unresolved for her own family, to say nothing of Bastian's, her heart was not unsettled in the matter as it had been before she'd left the first time. No, her heart wanted her in London -- it was her brain that knew better, knew it was time to go and do her duty, for her family. They needed to return to some semblance of normality, and that meant it was time to go, though it left her heart feeling raw and discontented.

It had been Calixta's mother, therefore, that had brought in her robes for repair. Calixta hadn't touched them since the day after the attack, but her mother had painstakingly cleaned them and then sent them out to Gladrags, her seamstress of choice. Hoping it might encourage Calixta to get excited about her trip, she'd even opened a tab for her, so she could buy something pretty, and sent her along with the ever-effervescent Melania, who was always happy for a chance to go shopping and be out on the town. 

Her younger sister felt the attacks on their family no less keenly than she did, but her cure was to throw herself headfirst into life, while Calixta's reflex was to withdraw. Laeticia had hoped Melania's influence might stir her middle child to recover some of that spark which she'd seemed to lose. Besides, the two had plenty to talk about -- it had been ages since they'd had some alone time together.

"So, quidditch captain, is that right?" Calixta was asking as they walked through the door from the bright sunshine. She blinked several times, her eyes adjusting to the dimmer light, looking around at the shop. 

"That's right," Melania said proudly, her hand brushing a rack of robes presented under a sign which read "Evening Wear". "I wanted to have a party at the house to celebrate, but now's not really the time, so I'm going out to Patronus instead. Tonight, actually -- you should come. It'll be fun."

"Really?" Calixta asked skeptically. She could hardly imagine it would be Melania's idea of the height of fun, being hampered in by her older sister. They'd nearly a ten year age gap -- Melania had been a "happy surprise" -- so despite their shared proclivity for night life, they'd never hung out in the same circles. Calixta was hesitant about hanging out with a bunch of Hogwarts-aged kids, but it might be better than her current plans for the evening, which currently consisted of drinking a bottle of expensive red wine in her flat by herself while she studied German. 

"Yeah, of course! There'll be loads of people there, we always end up meeting someone new. Come on, why not? I've been of age nearly a year now and we still haven't gone together. It's not like Percy is gonna take me out anytime soon," Melania pointed out with a shrug, moving onto another rack.

"Well....fine, then. But we'd better find something to wear, then -- I expect Mum had something like that in mind when she send me over here with you," Calixta said wryly, smirking over a rack of very short, eye-catching robes.

"Just grab your stuff first and have them send it all to your flat. We can get ready there since it's closer."

"Alright then, I will!" Calixta walked to the back of the shop where the alterations were done and rang the bell on the counter, not seeing anyone about. "Hello?" she called out, peering around. "I had some robes dropped off for alterations, I was told to pick them up sometime today?"
Back to top Go down
http://nunshallpass.tumble.com

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Called in Favour   Called in Favour EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 3:59 pm

Aileen swore none too quietly when the stitch ripped jabbed painfully into her index finger at the surprisingly loud sound of the desk bell, which in true wizard fashion let off a serious of unexpected bird noises. She grabbed a scrap of cloth from the floor and used her thumb to hold the fabric against the tiny gash. "Coming!" she called from behind the row of altered clothes, her work place of choice due to it's secluded nature. She didn't like to be stared at while she made a fool of herself. She pulled herself through a tangle of robes and appeared as dignified as she could given that her face was flushed from the steam cleaning station next to her own, and her hair a mess from an hour of running her fingers through it in stitch ripping frustration.

As she approached the counter her breath stopped as she saw who the customer was. "Of course." She said out loud before an unusual blush spread across her face. God this felt like she was back in school, when she was awkward and moody and said things she shouldn't. Well she was still moody and said things she shouldn't, but the awkward only came back when she ran into people from school.

"Calixta.." She said approaching the counter and pushing a ball of knotted thread off it. Calixta had been in her house in Hogwarts, they were four or five years apart and hadn't had much to do with one another. Aileen only remembered the former Ravenclaw's name because of how much space the family had been getting in the Daily Prophet in the past week. Aileen was about to express her condolences when she decided otherwise, the alterations shop was hardly the place to be reminded of such tragedy.

"Sorry last name?" She asked, feigning ignorance as to appear less creepy. Hogwarts had been five years ago after all and she very much doubted former prefect Calixta would know Aileen was so well connected at the prophet.
Back to top Go down
Calixta Harper
Sangreal Member
Calixta Harper

Wizarding ID Card

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Called in Favour   Called in Favour EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 4:40 pm

Calixta squinted at the younger witch, trying to place the face. "It's Harper, Calixta Harper...I'm sorry, I don't mean to be weird, but do I know you? Your face is strangely familiar but I can't recall the name. Hmm."

She searched her pockets for the receipt her mother had given her, and finally finding it, handed it over. "My mum dropped them off..." Calixta explained, blushing faintly at having to admit that her mom was still doing errands for her. Well, it hadn't been by choice, anyway. Anyone who knew Calixta's mother would be well aware of her stubborn ways -- after all, that's where Calixta herself had gotten it.
Back to top Go down

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Called in Favour   Called in Favour EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 5:36 pm

"We were in Hogwarts for a couple of years together." Aileen explained simply while she took the slip. She glanced at the number on the reciept immediately placing the robe she was hemming for a C. Harper to Calixta.

"Hey, sorry about this but your slip has a pickup time for noon tomorrow, I'm only half way through one of your robes as we speak."

Aileen slid the slip back over to Calixta. "I could probably get them all finished in a couple hours if you came back this afternoon but I'm the only one working right now so I couldn't get them done any earlier."

Aileen's mind went back to the story she had read about the Harper family. She wondered if anybody had interviewed Calixta herself...could make for a good Prophet story...could make for a better Sangreal publication. Aileen bit her tongue and looked up at Calixta, waiting for the woman to say when she would be returning. Now was not the time to be thinking of a story. Any anonymity she had with Sangreal writings would be gone if Calixta found the interview she gave written in an extremist newspaper days later.
Back to top Go down
Calixta Harper
Sangreal Member
Calixta Harper

Wizarding ID Card

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Called in Favour   Called in Favour EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 5:50 pm

"Oh! That's right, you were in Ravenclaw. Turner, wasn't it?" Calixta asked, still struggling for the first name. It had been something Irish, she remembered.

"Well, that's ok, I can just come back tomorrow, then. I live just down the road, it's no bother at all, really. I must've gotten it mixed up somehow," she shrugged. "My mum did say we had a tab here? My sister and I?" she said, gesturing towards the front of the shop where Lainey was only just visible holding up a sparkly yellow gown to herself in a full-length mirror.

"Is it alright if we have a look about? I was kind of killing two birds with one stone, type of thing -- running errands and doing a bit if shopping as well. We're going out tonight to celebrate, my sister was made quidditch captain," she revealed with a grin. "If you're busy though, we could come back later when there are more people working. We've kind of got all day."
Back to top Go down

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Called in Favour   Called in Favour EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 12:51 am

"Yes, Aileen Turner." She affirmed.

"Let's check here." Aileen said rifling through the store credit book. "Ah yes, Harper family - 40 Galleons. Wow." Aileen said before realizing how rude that sounded. "Well congrats on quidditch capitan." Aileen said louder so the sister could hear. "I could never tell which end of the broom was the front." She joked. Before coming around to the other side of the counter and shrugging her shoulders.

"I can help you out if you need." She offered. Usually there was a sales witch to help customers in the front but it was still early and she hadn't arrived yet. "I don't know how much use I'll be, I'm only filling in for a family member, I don't usually work her." She admited "But I live close by too so I have seen what people pick out of here most often." She said, stretching it a little.

It was curious she had never run in to Calixta if they lived so close together. She had no idea Calixta was a fellow Scot. Maybe she moved here later.
Back to top Go down
Calixta Harper
Sangreal Member
Calixta Harper

Wizarding ID Card

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Called in Favour   Called in Favour EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 2:30 pm

"Thanks," Lainey called out, just barely hearing Aileen, so she walked towards the back counter. "Only forty galleons? I guess we can one each then. It's just as well I suppose, you can only wear one at a time," she remarked, walking away towards another rack of robes that caught her eye.

"Ahh, well, erm -- that's all right, really. We're just looking for something to wear to Patronus tonight, like I said. I tend to like more old-fashioned things, I guess? -- Lainey just likes a anything with enough sparkle," she joked, poking fun at her little sister.

"I heard that!" she called, invisible behind a tall rack of floor-length robes.

"Heh, anyway, so after we pick them out and get them properly fitted, could you send them out to the summer house? It's where we're staying right now -- like I said, just down the road. If there aren't enough people working though, I don't want to put you out one more, I could come back for them before tonight."
Back to top Go down

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Called in Favour   Called in Favour EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 am

"Yeah, no problem." Aileen said. If Calixta really did live only a few minutes away, the home would probably be on her way or not far off it. She had to drop her borrowed shop key back at her parents place before she headed back to London and the walk was pleasant enough to walk this time of year.

"I can try to help you out too." She said looking helplessly around the retail part of the shop. "But I'm afraid my own tastes are anything but hip." Although Aileen wore the simple black robes required for work in the shop, her usual attire was usually less than flattering. Clothes were not only expensive but extended far beyond her understanding. Fashion was a nightmere and she always seemed to be one decade behind the current trend.

"But as you could probably tell, our more riskay section is over where your sister is. If you're looking for sparkle, that'll be where you'll find it. Otherwise we have dress robes in the other corner and then some lovely summer dresses and lighter party dresses over in the back corner."
Back to top Go down
Calixta Harper
Sangreal Member
Calixta Harper

Wizarding ID Card

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Called in Favour   Called in Favour EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 8:12 am

"That's okay, I've got enough style for the three of us!" Melania called from somewhere behind the racks, emerging with a short black number with zippers.

"So modest! Also, I would never wear that," Calixta told her, smirking, as she shook her head at her sister's selection.

"You should, I bet that foreign boyfriend of yours would like it!" Melania teased, sticking her tongue. "But no, in all seriousness, I was looking at this for me. I know you like things a little more boring." Calixta rolled her eyes, looking back at Aileen with an amused expression.

"Well, at least it's not covered in sequins?" She rummaged through a rack herself, selecting a matte red dress with a bit more fabric than her sister's choice. "Ooooh, I quite like this!" Melania glanced over and shrugged, unimpressed.

"You dress so much older than you are. We're not that far apart in age, really!"

"I have a fondness for the classics! There is nothing wrong with that."

"Classic, or antique?"

"Oh, shut it!" Calixta laughed, taking the dress with her into a fitting room. "Just you see how it looks on, then you'll see what I mean!" Melania followed suit, and in a few minutes they both reemerged with their selection.

"Okay, I'll give it to you...it looks much better on you than the hanger," Melania conceded.

"Cute shirt," Calixta teased back. "What do you think, Aileen?"

((Because I got bored and went looking for pictures Razz
Cali: http://www.mycelebrityfashion.co.uk/photo/billie-piper-on-the-red-carpet-1288103345.jpg
Lainey: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.stylelist.com/media/2008/10/gemma-ward-thumbnail.jpg))
Back to top Go down

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Called in Favour   Called in Favour EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 11:41 am

OOC: Can't see the black one but I get the idea haha.

BIC: "What about adding something on the neck line?" Aileen said, suprising herself as such a fashion tip came out of her own mouth. "We've got some accessories over by the desk." Aileen led them back to the counter where there were some cheap, but showey necklaces and bracelets on display. "The red brings your hair out nicely though." She commented again before checking on Lainey.

"What is this party again?" She said examinging the dress that Calixta had more than correctly discribed as a shirt.

Aileen herself hadn't worn a dress for nearly 5 years. She had tried to remember the last time she had while the girls were changing and it seemed like her seventh year Christmas ball was the last time anybody had been punished with the sight. Since then she'd volunteered to act as journalist for any balls that she was forced to go to, and so was able to wear black robes or on one occation just a black skirt and top.

The dress Lainey had picked out looked like a piece of fabric meant as a horrible game where the wearer had to choose between showing off their underwear or their bust. Aileen was just going to ask if Lainey wanted to see their necklaces or their stylish panties when she stopped herself and realized the playful banter between sisters was not for her to join in on. That was twice in one meeting Aileen had censored herself. It felt weird.
Back to top Go down
Calixta Harper
Sangreal Member
Calixta Harper

Wizarding ID Card

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Called in Favour   Called in Favour EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 1:37 pm

Calixta stepped out of her dressing room to see Lainey's selection; blonde eyebrows disappeared into her hairline at the length of the so-called "dress".

"Maybe somebody else could get away with wearing that, but on you, it really is a glorified belt. A wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen. Go find something else, Daddy Long-Legs," she advised as her sister examined the garment in a full-length mirror.

"Yeah, you're right. It's definitely trying too hard if I have to coordinate my underwear just in case people get a peek," Lainey teased, disappearing into her dressing room to put her proper clothes on again. Calixta shook her head and turned back to Aileen, fiddling with the rack of cheap bracelets.

"Oh, it's not a party, really -- we're just going to Patronus, to celebrate her making quidditch captain. My friend's a bouncer there, so we're getting a private room in the VIP -- she's gonna flip," she whispered confidentially, so Lainey wouldn't hear.

"We should help her find another one while she's in there -- Lainey, what about this?" she asked, pulling a dark purple tunic-style minidress from a rack. A blonde head peeked out from behind the curtain.

"Yeah, gimme that!" Lainey agreed, grabbing the dress quickly. Calixta smirked at Aileen, and leaned in again so Lainey wouldn't hear.

"For all that she makes fun of my fashion choices, she always ends up choosing something I've picked for her."
Back to top Go down

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Called in Favour   Called in Favour EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 5:39 pm

Aileen gave a small smile as Lainey grabbed the purple dress. "Sister thing?" She asked not really knowing if it was a sister thing or not. The closest she'd ever gotten to clothes shopping with a sibbling was forcing Cameron into a robes shop back when they were kids and she was in need to a pair of school robes. 10 year old Cameron had been totally in awe of Diagon Alley as he always was, but was less impressed to find himself in a clothes shop when there were racing brooms just down the street.

"So if you just take that dress off, I can start wrapping it up and will get all your information so I can drop it off at your place before tonight." Aileen said to Calixta getting back out of her head.

"Sorry again about the hemming, it'll be done by tomorrow morning for sure. Probably even later tonight. Actually you know, I could drop it off at your place then as well if you'd like. If you pay for the alterations now I'll just leave it in your front hall on my way home."

Aileen breathing stopped as she waited for an answer while she shamelessly admitted to herself that the only reason she wanted to stop by would be in hopes that she'd meet somebody in the house that could give her a comment on the hate crime the family was wrapped up in. It was too late to ask Calixta about it now, the woman knew who she was, which wouldn't work if Aileen planned on publicizing it in the Sangreal paper. At least while she was sober...it gave Aileen another thought.

"What time is the quidditch thing?" She asked casually. Nobody was stopping her from casually making an appearance a couple hours in to the thing and checking out who was drunk enough to make sense but not gaurd their words.

Aileen smiled at Calixta.
Back to top Go down
Calixta Harper
Sangreal Member
Calixta Harper

Wizarding ID Card

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Called in Favour   Called in Favour EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 6:06 pm

"Yeah, I suppose it is a sister thing," Calixta said with a smile. Lainey reemerged wearing the purple dress, and Calixta turned and stared in delight.

"That is perfect, Penny Lane, look at it!" Lainey did look pretty pleased with herself, despite the lack of sparkles on the dress.

"I'll take it," she agreed, smirking.

"And I'll take this one," Calixta said, getting back into the changing room and putting on her normal robes. "That all sounds really good, Aileen, thank you so much. You've been really helpful, actually," she said with a smile, exiting the fitting room with her dress hung neatly on a hanger.

"Yeah, thanks," Lainey echoed, taking both dresses and handing them to Aileen. "Hey, if you're not busy, you should come tonight," she added with a shrug, examining the display of jewlery Calixta had been looking at earlier.

"Oh yeah, you should!" Calixta agreed, rummaging in her pockets for her coin purse. "We'll be leaving here after dinner around nine, I think? You could meet us at the door. I'll tell Adrian to put your name on the list so you get in quicker," she shrugged. "Now, how much did I owe you for the alterations?"
Back to top Go down

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Called in Favour   Called in Favour EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 6:34 pm

Aileen smiled sincerely. "Oh, don't worry about it." She said as she typed in the total for the two dresses. "I'll just cover it as a part of what was on your tab, you have a couple sickles left on the tab before the alterations so we'll just call it square?"

It was almost too good to be true. Not only did she and Calixta have more in common than Aileen could have imagined when they were back in school, but she was also now being invited right into the VIP room with them! Just how many family members would be in attendence she wondered. It was an evesdroppers heaven, not to mention Calixta would be there as somebody she could actually see herself spending regular time with. A job was a job, but sometimes they were more enjoyable than others.

She took the two dresses from the girls and wrapped them in a thin layer of tissue. "Do you want these now are do you want me to deliver them with the robes?"
Back to top Go down
Calixta Harper
Sangreal Member
Calixta Harper

Wizarding ID Card

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Called in Favour   Called in Favour EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 6:39 pm

"We'll take them now!" Lainey replied excitedly, grinning. "I want to show them to my mum!"

Calixta laughed, shaking her head. "Maybe she'll let you borrow those heels you keep bugging her about...they'd match perfectly."

"You know, you're right!" Lainey wiggled her eyebrows in a conspiratorial way, and pretended to twirl a moustache, making Calixta laugh.

"Oh my god, and this is her before she'd had any drinks or sugar in her. I'm scared, save me!" Calixta joked. "That sounds good though, thank you again. We'll see you there?"
Back to top Go down

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Called in Favour   Called in Favour EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 6:49 pm

"Oh! Yeah! Yeah that'd be great!" Aileen agreed forgetting that she hadn't agreed or disagreed out loud. Great, now they thought she wasn't too keen to go.

Aileen handed the girls their packages. "Truely, that's quite the invitation. I appreciate it. Now I have to find something presentable to put on." She said with a wink to Calixta.

"Meet you around 9:30, or whenever I see you in there." She threw the customary Gladrags Wizard Wear thank you pin into one of the bags. "Congrats on getting Capitan again Lainey."
Back to top Go down
Calixta Harper
Sangreal Member
Calixta Harper

Wizarding ID Card

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Called in Favour   Called in Favour EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 6:59 pm

"Thanks," Lainey replied, grinning at Aileen as she took the bag.

"See you later!" Calixta said, waving before she and her sister headed back out into the village, back towards their house.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Called in Favour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Called in Favour   Called in Favour Empty

Back to top Go down

Called in Favour
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Rowling Universe :: The World :: England :: Hogsmeade :: Gladrags Wizardwear-
Jump to: